Kentucky farmers' markets schedule special events
FRANKFORT, Ky. — Some of Kentucky’s approximately 160 farmers’ markets will be celebrating National Farmers’ Market Week Aug. 7-13 with special events, Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles said.
“Farmers’ markets give consumers the chance to buy farm-fresh fruits and vegetables as well as meats, bread, sauces, cut flowers, crafts, and many other farm products,” Commissioner Quarles said. “They also provide an opportunity for shoppers to meet the people who produced the food. And they generate economic activity in their local communities. I encourage everyone to visit your local farmers’ market.”Many markets offer cooking demonstrations, sampling, door prizes and other events to commemorate the week, said Sharon Spencer, the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s farmers’ market specialist.
The Franklin-Simpson Farmers’ Market will host the inaugural Hometown Harvest Dinner Aug. 5 at its new Southern-style pavilion.
“This dinner will be located right in the middle of College Street just off the square here in Franklin,” Kim Roberts, vice president of Franklin-Simpson Farmers’ Market, wrote in an email. “The meal is being prepared by the Brickyard Restaurant of Franklin. It will be a plated meal consisting of an appetizer sampling (dips prepared by farmers’ market vendors); salad; a choice of either beef, chicken, or pork; two vegetable side dishes; homemade bread; and a dessert.
Roberts said 150 tickets are being pre-sold at a cost of $45 each.
Roberts wrote that the Franklin-Simpson Farmers’ Market “is growing by the week,” drawing customers from five counties surrounding Simpson, located on the Tennessee border along Interstate 65.
Following are some other events that Kentucky farmers’ markets are hosting to celebrate Farmers’ Market Week:
- Beaver Dam Community Farmers’ Market will have entertainment at the market on Saturday, Aug. 6.
- Boone County Farmers’ Market will host a Taste of the Market from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT Saturday, Aug. 6. On the following Saturday, Aug. 13, chef Maggie Green, author of “Tasting Kentucky: Favorite Recipes from the Bluegrass State,” will do live cooking demonstrations starting at 10 a.m.
- Breathitt County Farmers’ Market will host Lunch at the Farmers’ Market at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9.
- Perry County Farmers’ Market will set up an appreciation table for its vendors on Wednesday, Aug. 10 and Saturday, Aug. 13.
- The Community Farmers’ Market in Warren County plans to celebrate the week with giveaways on Saturday, Aug. 13.
- Bluegrass Farmers’ Market in Lexington will have three special education centers set up on master gardeners, Kentucky garden clubs, and the Monarch Butterfly Garden Initiative on Saturday, Aug. 13. The market is giving away 250 pumpkin scoops embossed with the Kentucky Proud logo at both Saturday market sites.
- The Covington Farmers’ Market to Table Dinner is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 13, at the market at East 3rd Street between Court and Greenup streets. All ingredients possible will be sourced by market vendors. For tickets and more information, go to eventbrite.com/e/covington-farmers-market-to-table-dinner-fundraiser-tickets-26666703829.